Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Our plan so far

We had a baby about 5 months ago. We started Dave Ramsey's plan in March of last year when we found out we were pregnant. I really wanted to be a stay at home mom at that point but I made 2/3rds of the income. (I made about 90k per year and my husband about 50k) We had car loans, student loans, HELOC, and no money in the bank. We had paid off our credit cards that previous year and didn't really use them often, but our monthly expenses were very high. Our house is also 250k, and we put 25k down on it so we owed 225k. We made a point not to get the largest house we could afford because I hated my job and I wanted to quit. Still it never seemed possible to quit!
Once I found out we were pregnant we went crazy on debt. We sold our brand new Honda Civic (19k loan) and bought a $9,000 Jeep Cherokee. We paid off:

Cherokee $9,000
Honda Element $8,000
Citibank Student Loan $3,500
HELOC $25,800
Total = $46,300

That's a lot of debt! We did that from March until August by living only on my husbands salary and him working his butt off to make more money. Oh and living on beans and rice! We still had a $23,000 student loan of mine left, but I was worried about finances when the baby arrived and not having a safety net especially when i was thinking of quitting my job.

I called Dave Ramsey to ask about what I should do. I thought I should save up my fully funded emergency fund for the baby, and then pay off my student loan. Of course that doesn't go with the baby steps but I wanted security! He suggested I pay off my student loan (of course!) then go back to work for a few months until I could get a fully funded emergency fund. We didn't do that though! Sorry for not doing the advice Dave!

We ended up saving over 21k for our emergency fund. It's still in the bank account right now. I did go back to work for a few months and paid off some of the student loan, but I hated having my son in day care and I was sick of working knowing I was going to quit so I left. (We also had been saving and bought a car with cash right before I quit as the Cherokee seemed to have tons of problems and was a gas guzzler).

I know I didn't follow the normal baby steps as I still have debt and an emergency fund but I feel better. Especially with the new roof we need! I also just saved up 12k for a hills and valleys fund because my husbands income varies from month to month and we don't know how much he'll end up making most of the time.

So that has been the plan so far! My goals now are to increase my income, get that roof, and finally pay off that student loan. Then we'll be debt free except for the house! Then we start saving for retirement. I am so excited about that because that is how I plan on becoming a millionaire!

No comments: