Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mothers Day!

Today is mother's day and my first real one! My son is just 5 months old. We started our total money makeover last year when we found out we were pregnant. In that time we paid off a ton of debt, saved up a ton of money and took the plunge for me to stay at home with my son. (well work at home part time also). I feel like since we started dealing with our debt we have had a plan and know where our future is going. It is a great feeling!

I have also been trying to get my friends and family on board. Most think we are crazy. We are the type of people that don't go out to eat, and tell everyone it's not in our budget. People feel bad for us, like we're broke, and they pay for it. Which I think is extremely funny, I mean I don't want them to, but hey! if they don't take my advice and offer me money for free why would I not take it? They can feel bad for me all they want, I'm going to have a million bucks one day!

Today I actually let my parents borrow my Dave Ramsey book. I told my mom how nuts about personal finance I was and she said she never knew. It's funny that I don't talk about something that is such a big part of my life. I told her I might want to be a personal financial counselor someday, and she was surprised. I never want to bring up our finances because I know my parents are not well off, even though I know they try their hardest to always help out, and buy us things (even when I know they shouldn't!). I feel like we are doing so well now with a large savings in the bank and they live paycheck to paycheck. But that is one of the reasons why I wanted to bring it up. I know if they tried to get rid of their debt they could! They are so smart. But why would they take advice from me? Dave Ramsey called it the powdered butt syndrome, once you've powdered someones butt you don't want to take advice from them! I told my mom about the powdered butt syndrome and asked if dad would ever read the book. She said he would probably enjoy it, and she told me a saying my dad just read, "Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit!".

Not sure what that has to do with being debt free, but it is quite funny. :)

No comments: